Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Winter Holidays Tree Map

During the holidays, I like to cover at least three celebrations.  This year my students learned about Christmas, Kwanzaa, and Hanukkah.  At the end of each lesson, we discussed what we had learned about the holiday and listed it on the tree map.  I know my tree map is messy with my doodles and handwriting but it's how I like to do things.  Teaching is not always neat and cute.  It can be dirty, chaotic, and lots of fun! 

After our tree map was completed, the class and I had a discussion comparing the similarities and differences of the celebrations.  The children were able to ask and answer questions and make comparisons.  Our discussion was filled with many teachable moments for the kids and especially me.

No comments:

Post a Comment