Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Mitten Art Activity

My kids really liked this art activity.  I read the Jan Brett version of the story "The Mitten".  Afterwards, we discussed the different animal characters.  I showed them how to draw each one on the board, then I labeled each animal.  After all the animals were on the board, we put them in numerical order by when they joined the others in the mitten.  There are a lot of animals so at times, we had to go back and look for the answer in the book, which is a good skill for the students to be exposed to.  I gave the directions and the student's went to work.  Everyone was able to draw one or more animal characters from the story.  I hung them up to help decorate our classroom for a few days.  They came out nice.

Below are a few pictures of their final products:


If you would like to do this with your students, go to my store on teacherspayteachers.com and download it for free.  Here is the link:  http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Kindergarten-Rocks-35.

No comments:

Post a Comment